Saturday, July 21, 2012

"A Person's a Person, No Matter How Small!" (Horton Hears a Who! - by Dr. Seuss)

Greetings, Friends!

Kindly excuse the dull black print.  This morning, it feels so much better on the eyes than a color.  It also brings some kind of systemic relief to me to see my post printed this way.  (Fascinating concept:  the effects of color on the human system and psyche -- and on tired eyes!  I'm going to try to remember that topic.)

So, if I switch colors now and then, you'll know why.  :)  

Today, I'm pondering books . . . borrowed.

I fare a whole lot better amongst new books in bookstores, because nobody has taken the books home yet.  Unless they contain glossy pages, bookstore books usually have that uniform "paper" scent.*

Libraries are another animal entirely.  I quickly learn which books the smokers like -- that's the easiest call.  Next down the line are perfumed books.  My physiology -- capable guide! -- dictates which of these I can take home with me and which I must return to the shelf immediately.  Due to the nose-numbing effect of some synthetic scent components, however, I'm occasionally surprised, at home, to find I've chosen a book with a much stronger scent than I'd originally detected.  This, then, becomes a book I cannot read.

Finally, we have the "laundry/chemical cleaner/air freshener" scented books, which smell as though they'd been filed between dryer sheets.  These are the most interesting breed of all.  They positively "radiate."

If I, myself, have not personally plucked the books off the shelves and carried them to the checkout desk, I miss the opportunity to weed out, in advance, the truly "nonnegotiable" books.  When little hands choose and carry the books to the library clerk and out the front door, I discover the "nonnegotiable" ones "on the way." 

The children's books seem to get the worst of it.  As we drove home from the library the other day, my daughter was proudly reading one of her chosen books in the back seat.  Suddenly, I became aware that a pungent smell with a caustic texture was relentlessly burning into my nose.  I asked my children if they'd used the strongly scented shampoo, or if they'd put on some clothing from a previous, highly scented outing.

My son said, "It's the book."  It definitely was.  I sighed.

"I'm sorry -- could you please put it way in the back?"  I had to request.  The scent had now surrounded us all.  It began to burn my daughter's eyes.

These are moments of enlightenment.  Lest readers think that it is just I, and others like me, who fare poorly amidst chemical scents . . .

Children also feel the burn.   In how many ways might their little bodies and minds be paying for this "everywhere" exposure to innumerable toxic fragrances?

This is a daunting question.  I happen to have two very pertinent links on hand for just such an occasion:

Missouri Kids Health Coalition:  Air fresheners and fragranced cleaning products - Letter written by Dr. Anne C. Steinemann, Ph.D.

Cleanerindoorair.org: "Toxic Chemicals in Fragranced Laundry Products and Health Effects" by Dr. Anne C. Steinemann - Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Washington

And one more, just from the heart:

"Bless the Beasts and the Children" - Carpenters
(Totally natural voice of gold, so kind, so healing -- beautiful Karen, rest in peace.)

May these links bear many good fruits to you and your loved ones.

Cheers!

~ Carolyn

*P.S.  I wish to extend my respectful recognition here to those whose chemical sensitivity causes new books -- and various inks -- to affect them adversely.   If you have any words to share regarding this experience, your thoughts would be most welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment