Sunday, March 2, 2014

Don't Starve Your Gallbladder!

If you don't give your gallbladder something real and substantial to chew on, it begins to pine away . . .

Good fats -- not those synthetically greasy, gloppy, indigestible, waxy, "plastic" specimens often called "snacks" -- are those real and substantial things.  

By contrast, if you feed your gallbladder a watery, "lite" diet of low-fat or fatless foods, the gallbladder shrinks and withers from lack of exercise.  Then, it becomes too weak and frail either to feed off the good fats or to throw off the fake fats (those imposter "trans fats").  It becomes a mess in there and the gallbladder starts to shriek in pain.

Friends, we really need to keep our gallbladders, because when the gallbladder goes, all of the breaking down and detoxifying now falls to the liver.  True, the gallbladder pain stops when the gallbladder is removed (!) -- but deep on the inside, it becomes a desperate situation, because the liver can't really do all of that work alone.  And now the poor person is stuck with only a liver.  Maybe two functional kidneys, too -- but even two kidneys can't atone for that missing gallbladder.

If your gallbladder is already gone, I'm very sorry.  Please be careful of what you ingest, on behalf of your exceedingly valuable liver (see the last link, below, for helpful information).

If you still have your gallbladder -- let me tell you my own little story.  When my first gallstone attack struck,  I'd already been forewarned by Dr. Joseph Mercola's writings about the precaution of holding on to one's gallbladder if at all possible.  But there I was, on a cold wintry night, suddenly beset with a boring pain, front and back, up high.  I looked at my face in the mirror and it was green.  I wondered if I'd pass out.  I felt weak all over and completely defenseless against the pain.  It was off to the hospital for me.  I remember sitting up in an emergency room bed for about five hours, barely moving because the pain was so bad.  They mapped out my gallstones on ultrasound, showed the picture to me, told me my gallbladder was inflamed, and said that I'd have to have it removed shortly.  I listened respectfully but decided to keep my gallbladder.  They gave me some ibuprofen, and the attack subsided shortly thereafter.  I focused on the really good fats after that.  My complementary-medicine physician later affirmed that I should treat the gallbladder well by eating good, whole, organic-if-possible fats.

Somewhere within that year or the next, I heard about an herbal practitioner who'd had many successes with curing various ailments through a modern, Oriental-style approach to the body.  I believe I went to him, that first time, for several miscellaneous complaints.  After his first exam and treatment, I asked him how my gallbladder was doing.  He said, "I fixed it.  It's gone [the problem].  Your gallbladder's fine."

I thought, "Whoa."

To the best of my calculations, that was nine or ten years ago.  I still have my gallbladder!  Most times, when I go back for another visit with this practitioner, I ask him, "How's my gallbladder doing?"  He always says, "It's fine."

With the greatest of gratitude, let me say that I don't take my gallbladder lightly.

While I don't claim to agree with every single detail or suggestion mentioned in the following links, I think the overall direction of these pieces represents my own thinking, in general, on this topic.  I'd like to pass on to you what I can regarding the preservation of the irreplaceable gallbladder (and helpful hints for those whose gallbladders have already been removed):

"Taking the Fear Out of Eating Fat" - by Lori Lipinski, April 30, 2003 (The Weston A. Price Foundation)

"Gallstone Treatment" (January 02, 2008) - An informative comment by Dr. Joseph Mercola of Mercola.com

"Problems with Digestion? This Type of Food May Be To Blame..." (January 06, 2011) - by Dr. Joseph Mercola of Mercola.com

"Five Important Tips if You've Had Gallstones or Your Gallbladder Removed" ( April 10, 2004) - by Dr. Joseph Mercola with Rachael Droege

Cheers!

~ Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment