Monday, May 14, 2012

Blooming Where I'm Planted

Good day, friends,

Somewhere in this chaos, there is order.

Having waited a week to be able to see a doctor for a specific medical concern, I awoke today with a pounding migraine and could not attend the appointment.  Because the headache continued to pulse hard beneath the ibuprofen I'd taken, I decided this would be a very bad day to place myself in a mainstream medical office filled with staff and patient fragrances, synthetic laundry scents, carpets, liberally sprayed disinfectants, other applied cleaning solutions, and possibly air fresheners -- unless I wanted to bring on back-to-back migraine syndromes, or, in layman's terms, a "double whammy."  Many things are now on hold until this wild, sickening pounding and rapid heart rate calm down.  This could be hours -- or days. 

Under such nonnegotiable circumstances, I choose to believe that I simply was not meant to be examined at that particular doctor's office -- at least for today.

Yesterday's outstanding chemical exposure (which brought on today's migraine) was, once again, extremely strong synthetic laundry fragrances on people's clothes and possibly from household dryer vents.  So today's reactive distress is a full-scale systemic event, with the central nervous system in an uproar, vision shaky, etc.

How ironic it is that exactly a year ago I wrote my blog post entitled, Getting Sick at the Doctor's" (link).  The very same reason I thought it wise to skip my doctor's appointment today!

For those of you who are new to the subject of toxic injury and its recurring symptoms, let me clarify here that reactivity to chemicals can be immediate or delayed.  When delayed, my own most common window of consistent patterning of symptoms is one to two days following the chemical exposure(s).  These chemicals needn't be radical things such as pesticides but can be "everyday" toxins found in many common household, office, and personal products -- products generally thought to be innocuous but which happen to contain nerve toxins ("neurotoxins"); eye, skin, and/or mucous membrane irritants; and carcinogens, et al. in their fragrances and accompanying chemical ingredients.

As I stated above, somewhere in this chaos, there is order.  My task is to find it -- or to make it.  I'm choosing to do both.  I can easily accept that, perhaps for other reasons completely unknown to me, it would have been a bad day for me to travel to the medical doctor.  Beyond that, I'm choosing to accept that perhaps I'm just another small voice needed to help warn others about the increasingly high potential for toxic injury posed by many commonly used cleaning, fragrance, and "pest-control" products.  Perhaps, by browsing through my posts, those who are new to this topic can get a "feel" for how toxic injury behaves once it has occurred.  If I can convey at least that much, that will have been something.

Cheers!

~ Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment