Monday, March 5, 2012

Scorching Injustice

"Just think positive," several people have advised me over the years, urging me to stop being "afraid" I'll get sick from synthetic fragrances in my midst.

"Afraid," they say, while standing before me with their fragrances or synthetic room deodorizers (including scented candles, even unlit) burning into my face, as the swelling in my nasal passages has already begun and I'm starting to feel the typical "tipsiness" that antagonizing chemicals bring on.  The inherent cruelty of this situation never escapes me.  I'm called upon to "prove myself" just as it's beginning to be hard to form logical sequences of thought -- and equally difficult, motorically, to shape the words that I desperately need in order to respond effectively.

While this is happening, such bearers of fragrance often debate with me politely regarding my tacitly presumed hysteria.  The debate can be as lengthy as a calm and gentle conversation which they seem to view as some kind of psychotherapy in action.  Or, it can be as brief as a casual laugh and a light comment -- both approaches conveying, in other words, that people describing systemic reactions to commonly used products can't be taken seriously.

All of which boils down to the fact that their nonessential personal preferences of scent and decor take clear and decisive priority over my health for the next few days.  They get to fill their rooms and surrounding upholstery with the cloying, persistent byproducts of synthetic room deodorizers (including synthetically scented candles), wear this or that brand of scented product as they approach me, then implicitly accuse me of some kind of destabilizing mental excess when I suffer physically from these things or attempt to avoid them.  I, in turn, get to sit or recline, immobilized and useless, overtaken by massive head pain plus visual and motor disturbances -- for the next few days.  Then, the next time I come into these people's midst, they will vaguely recall, "Oh, yes, you're very sensitive to fragrances, aren't you?" as they approach me (or as necessity forces me to enter their synthetically scented rooms), and the whole demoralizing and health-injuring routine begins all over again.

As though I'd said absolutely nothing.

"Afraid" . . . . .  Are pollen-allergy sufferers afraid of pollen?  Is that why their eyes stream with tears?  Moreover, can't one be "forgiven" (for lack of a better word) for having come to know, in advance, what one's own body definitively reacts to -- and for hoping to avoid a recurrence of this particular reaction?  Natural-allergy sufferers are forgiven for this all the time -- no questions asked.

As for "thinking positive," I already am.  Like the Man of La Mancha, I intend to keep dreaming that "Impossible Dream:"  My dream that others will realize that MCS is a real, medical problem.  Which, by the way, is the very reason I'm writing this blog.

Those who wish to call me "afraid" of chemical antagonists -- or who prefer to think of me as "hypochondriacal" regarding the real systemic reactions my body undergoes -- may certainly persist in this to their heart's content; but then, if there's any consistency at all to their thinking, they're going to have to think twice before they (or others they know) take medication for their seasonal allergies or avoid staying outside in certain weather.  After all, shouldn't they just try to "think positive" first?  Shouldn't they make absolutely sure that they're not simply "afraid" of flowers, weeds, or the great outdoors, itself?  Perhaps they've convinced their bodies to form antibodies to these natural substances . . . . . just as they wonder (aloud, in my presence) if my mind has possibly convinced my body to react with migraines and motor disturbances to unnatural, toxic chemicals.

And, for the record -- I do not really believe that "natural allergy" sufferers have brought their allergies on themselves (!), any more than I believe that a chemically sensitive person has brought on his own MCS.  I wrote the above paragraph to illustrate the skeptics' inconsistent stance toward "natural" allergies versus their stance toward systemic reactions to toxic chemicals.

The injustice of this inconsistency is scorching, and too many people's bodies are now feeling the burn.

I, for my part, am channeling that "burn" into a "burning" desire to educate others -- as thoroughly and quickly as possible -- about the reality of MCS.

It's truly the most positive earthly action I can take to address this crisis before I sputter and burn out completely.

Please read this eye-opening link from the Massachusetts Nurses Association detailing fragrance-free information and policies:

http://www.massnurses.org/health-and-safety/articles/chemical-exposures/p/openItem/1346. 

This link itemizes nicely and concisely the systemic effects caused by the chemicals in many personal, deodorizing, and cleaning products.

Cheers!

~ Carolyn

2 comments:

Heather Awen said...

This the best thing ever. I reposted it on my blog with a link back to here.

Carolyn (Daisies and Vinegar) said...

Thanks so much, Heather. If it can do any good, I'd be very happy.

Post a Comment